When it comes to manufacturing, surprises are almost always a setback, from broken down equipment, to a late shipment, missed defect, contamination, or a costly recall.
Today’s manufacturing landscape is unpredictable. But what’s the best way to navigate such volatility? Supply chain traceability. More specifically, the advanced visibility of operations that comes from IoT traceability software and Industry 4.0 technology.
Surprises No More With IoT Traceability Software
First off, let’s define how we’re using IoT. IoT (the internet of things) refers to the connection between devices equipped with computer chips and sensors that can transmit data within a network system. Going deeper, as these items become “smart” they get referred to as Industry 4.0, or IIoT (the industrial internet of things) in the world of manufacturing. IoT technology and the efficient data collection and sharing it enables makes end-to-end supply chain traceability possible, even amidst a complex, globalized setting.
With IoT traceability software, data is first collected from devices, sensors, and scanners regarding every stage of a product along the supply chain, from raw material through to finished good. This data can be regarding everything from production and inventory to shipping and distribution, delivering valuable, realtime information about the location, scheduling, and condition of various elements within the supply chain. Once gathered, the data is then contextualized in a cloud-based system using advanced analytics that provide actionable insights, allowing manufacturers to make adjustments as necessary for optimal efficiency and productivity.
Advanced supply chain traceability powered by the realtime, data-driven insights IoT traceability software can provide is the key to successfully navigating the unexpected, for superior supply chain management. Let’s look at 5 of the reasons why IoT traceability software eliminates surprises in manufacturing:
- Increased Supply Chain Efficiency - Surprises can often come from anywhere along the supply chain. For example, IoT traceability software can prevent surprises from the supplier side, ensuring thorough monitoring and detection of temperature, moisture, and other conditions far in advance of the shipping of materials. It can offer insight into shipping delays, and inventory levels, providing manufacturers with data that allows for greater flexibility to help streamline processes.
- Higher Quality - IoT traceability software can deliver insights around even the most minor anomalies in product specifications, allowing manufacturers to adjust with precision for optimal consistency and quality in their goods.
- Reduction in Recalls - From raw materials to consumer goods, IoT traceability software monitors all aspects of a product’s lifecycle, and can alert manufacturers to any defects, spoilage, or contaminations in realtime, as they occur, eliminating the need for recalls, or substantially reducing their frequency and the scope of any resulting repercussions.
- Predictive Maintenance - IoT traceability software can also spot problems with any manufacturing equipment that might arise, hindering the flow of production. Predictive and prescriptive analytics identify and warn manufacturers of trouble early on or before it even occurs, expediting decision-making and event resolution.
- Improved Safety - Safety issues can quickly derail even the most well-oiled manufacturing enterprise if not well-prepared for. IoT traceability software captures data from sensors at a granular level across an entire operation and provides accurate insights around potentially hazardous conditions so that manufacturers can ensure the utmost in plant and product safety, adhering to the strictest manufacturing standards.
IoT traceability software can warn you of trouble early on, surface numerous opportunities for improvement, increase plant and product safety and quality, and significantly reduce or eliminate the risk of costly recalls. It stops surprises before they happen, fortifying your manufacturing enterprise and increasing overall company brand value and profitability, yes, even amidst volatile global conditions. Manufacturing has evolved.
Transformational Industry 4.0 Supply Chain Traceability
IoT traceability software is one of the key elements powering the revolution that is Industry 4.0 Smart Manufacturing, and the time is now to get on board. ThinkIQ’s Transformational Intelligence platform provides a complete overview of all manufacturing operations, intelligently linking changes in any variable to both actual and predictive outcomes. This data may help one manufacturer avoid recalls from a temperature spike or assembly line slow down. It may help another manufacturer spot a weakness in their product that could become a major safety concern. And it may help another find that a small change in raw ingredients or suppliers can significantly increase their bottom line. ThinkIQ takes potentially calamitous surprises out of the manufacturing equation, contextualizing data — both in-plant and across your supply chain — to deliver Smart Manufacturing that improves yield, safety, quality, and compliance, for a true transformation in supply chain management.
Achieving unmatched Industry 4.0 supply chain traceability is possible, and it’s possible with ThinkIQ.
If you’re ready to eliminate surprises and up-level the traceability in your manufacturing enterprise, contact one of our experts for a consultation today to learn more about ThinkIQ’s Transformational Intelligence Platform. You can also start by downloading our eBook titled "Advanced Material Traceability Revolutionizes Digital Transformation".